Applications are invited for DAAD research grants available for young foreign academics and scientists with an opportunity to carry out research and continue their education in Germany. Grants will be awarded for doctoral programmes at a state or state-recognised institution of higher education or a non-university research institute in Germany. A Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree of 2nd class upper division level and a Master of Arts/Master of Science degree are required.
Level: Grants are available for graduate and doctoral candidates to carry out research and continue their education in Germany.
Field(s): Grants are awarded in following disciplines: Language and Cultural Studies, Law, Economics and Social Sciences, Mathematics/Natural Sciences, Medicine, Agriculture, Forestry and Nutritional Science. Doctoral theses in the areas of human medicine (Dr. med.), veterinary medicine (Dr. med. vet.) or dentistry (Dr. med. dent.) cannot be supported.
Deadline: 31st October 2017.
Funded By: DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
Beneficiaries(Target Groups): DAAD Research Grants for Foreign Doctoral Students are targeted for foreign applicants
‣ No. of awards: Not Specified
‣ Scholarship Tenure : Usually a maximum of three years, in exceptional cases up to four years; the length of the grant is decided by a selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant’s work schedule.
s are initially awarded for a maximum of one year. Extensions depend on whether the selection committee considers the previous award period to have been successfully completed. For doctoral projects in Germany that require several years of research,research phases outside Germany can be supported if these are critical for the successful completion of the doctoral degree. Planned stays must be specified in the application in the work and time schedule and should not exceed a quarter of the anticipated total funding period.
‣Value of Scholarship : DAAD Research Grants for Foreign Doctoral Students cover depending on academic level, monthly payments of: euros 750.- for graduates; euros 1,000.
- for doctoral candidates
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
- One-off research allowance
- Under certain circumstances, grant holders completing an uninterrupted stay of over 6 months may receive the following additional benefits:
- monthly rent subsidy
- monthly allowance for accompanying family members
- To enable grant holders to improve their language skills in preparation for their stay in Germany, DAAD offers the following services:
- Payment of course fees for the online language course “Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO)” for six months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- if necessary: Language course (2, 4 or 6 months) before the start of the research stay; the DAAD decides whether to fund the grant holder’s participation and for how long depending on language skills and project. If a language course scholarship is granted and the working language at the host institute is German, participation is compulsory.
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the grant period
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test which has either been taken in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the funding period.
‣ DAAD Research Grants for Foreign Doctoral Students
provide young foreign academics and scientists with an opportunity to carry out research and continue their education in Germany.
‣ There are funding programmes for various qualification phases and stages in a career. The grants also promote the exchange of experience and networking amongst colleagues.
To apply for 2016 DAAD Research Grants for Foreign Doctoral Students applicants ust eet the followig criteria :
‣ Excellently-qualified young academics and scientists who have completed a Master’s degree or Diploma, or in exceptional cases a Bachelor’s degree at the latest by the time they begin their grant-supported research.
‣ A Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science degree of 2nd class upper division level and a Master of Arts/Master of Science degree are required.
‣ For francophone countries: A Licence or Master degree of “good enough” level and a DEA/DESS degree or a Master corresponding to the LMD system are required.
‣ As a rule, applicants should not have graduated any longer than six years before the time of application. If you are already working on a doctoral degree, you should not have started your degree any longer than three years previously.
‣ Applicants who have been resident in Germany for longer than 15 months at the time of application cannot be considered.
‣ Language skills: The required language level depends on the applicant’s study plans and subject: In the arts, social sciences and in law, at least a good knowledge of German is usually expected. For the natural sciences and engineering, proof of good English language skills may also be accepted if English is spoken at the host institute.
Selection Criteria for 2016 DAAD Research Grants for Foreign Doctoral Students
‣ An independent selection committee consisting of specialist scientists reviews applications. The most important selection criteria:
- a convincing and well-planned research project or course of continuing education
- academic achievements
- Additional documents that prove academic suitability or provide information about extracurricular activities will also be considered in the assessment.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal.
- The application procedure occurs online through the DAAD portal. You are also required to send 1 copy/copies of the “Application summary” (PDF file), which is generated in the DAAD portal after the online application procedure has been completed, and other appendices by post to the application address.
- Please note that the “Submitting an application” tab in the scholarship database only appears while the current application period is running. After the application deadline has expired, the portal for this programme is not available until the next application period.
- The access to the DAAD portal opens about 6 weeks before the application deadline.
Certificates, proof of credits, certifications and translations may be scanned in non-certified form and uploaded to the DAAD portal. DAAD’s Head Office in Bonn will only request certified copies of the submitted documents in paper form if a grant is awarded!
1. Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD portal:
- Online application form
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- List of publications (max. 10 pages), if applicable
- Extensive and detailed description of the research proposal and a description of previous research work (max. 10 pages)
In the case of individual projects supervised by a university teacher (academic adviser)
- Letter confirming supervision by a university teacher in Germany (academic adviser)
- Schedule of planned research work
In the case of planned participation in a structured doctoral study programme:
- Letter of admission to a study programme; this can be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application.
- Proof of existing contacts to the coordinator of the doctoral programme in the form of copies of correspondence
Also for all applicants:
- Diplom or degree certificate indicating final grade(s): the certificate must be subsequently submitted before the grant-supported research begins if it is not available at the time of application.
- Other documents which support your application (example: certificates of employment, proof of placements, etc.)
- German or English translations of documents submitted in the national language
- Copy of school-leaving certificate which entitles holders to study at a university in the home country (with all individual grades)
- An official confirmation of funding for your field trip expenses (e.g. from you home university) or a confirmation that you will cover the costs by yourself. Kindly note that the DAAD cannot cover field trips expenses, hence we request you to send us an official confirmation of funding.
- All university certificates on all annual examinations with individual grade(s), incl. explanation of grading system.
2. To be submitted by post:
- The “Application summary”, which is generated in the portal in PDF format and which can be printed out after the online application procedure is completed; please send 1 copy/copies to the application address.
- Two recent references from university teachers which provide information about your qualifications; please enclose the references in envelopes with each copy of your application
October 31, 2017
Nairobi Branch Office
German Academic Exchange Service, Regional Office for Africa
Madison Insurance House, 3rd floor, Upper Hill Close
E-Mail.: [email protected]
- Your application is only valid if you submit all the required documents to the DAAD portal (see Item 1) and by post (see Item 2). The postmark date serves as proof that the application has been dispatched on time.
- The DAAD portal closes at 24.00 hrs. Central European Time (CET) on the last application day.
- Late or incomplete applications cannot be considered. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their applications are complete.
- The application documents remain with the DAAD. Data relating to applicants is saved by the DAAD in accordance with the Federal Data Protection Act insofar as this data is needed to process applications.
‣ You are also required to send 1 copy/copies of the “Application summary” (PDF file), which is generated in the DAAD portal after the online application procedure has been completed and other appendices by post to the application address.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on October 31, 2017
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.