The Leeds University Business School is offering up to three Economics Scholarships (one for UK/EU fee-rated candidates and two for international fee-rated candidates). Scholarships are available to candidates commencing full-time PhD study on either 1st October 2017 or 1st February 2018.
Leeds University Business School, is a full-service business school, a faculty of the University of Leeds and a member of the Russell group of research-intensive universities, located in Leeds, West Yorkshire, England.
Applicants whose first language is not English must meet the Business School’s minimum English Language requirements prior to registration (EU/International applicants only).
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of economics.
Scholarship Award: Tuition fees at the relevant UK/EU or international rate and a maintenance grant of £14,553 per annum (the amount will be reviewed annually). There are no additional allowances for travel or research costs.
Number of Scholarships: Up to three (3) Economics Scholarship awards are available (up to one for UK/EU fee-rated candidates and up to two for international fee-rated candidates).
Scholarship can be taken in the UK
- Applicants must first submit a research degree study application form and be in receipt of a University BANNER ID Number (Student ID Number) to be eligible for a Leeds University Business School: Economics Scholarship.
- For PhD study, applicants must hold a First Degree at undergraduate level equivalent to at least a UK Upper Second Class Honours degree and a British Masters degree, (or equivalent qualification) in an appropriate academic discipline, with a minimum average score of 60 per cent
- Applicants whose first language is not English must meet the Business School’s minimum English Language requirements prior to registration (EU/International applicants only).
Nationality: UK/EU or international students can apply for these scholarships.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Candidates should hold a British Masters degree (or equivalent degree from an overseas university) or an equivalent professional qualification:
- With a minimum average score of 60 percent (or equivalent); and
- In an appropriate academic discipline.
English Language Requirement:
- Scores of at least 6.0 or more in each section and an overall score of 7.0 are required.
- Scores of at least 600 overall and 5.0 in the Test of Written English are required.
- TOEFL iBT. We require an overall test result of 100 with the following minimum scores required in each of these sections: Listening 21, Reading 21, Speaking 23, Writing 22.
How to Apply:
Step 1: Applicants must first submit a research degree study application form and be in receipt of a University BANNER ID Number (Student ID Number) to be eligible to apply for a Leeds University Business School: Economics Scholarship. Applications without a valid University ID Number will be rejected.
Step 2: All applicants must complete the Leeds University Business School Scholarships Application Form.
Step 3: The following documents must be uploaded with your PhD application or sent with your scholarship application:
- PhD application form: apply online
- Scholarship application form: the form must be completed in full.
- Research proposal: a 1000-2000 word document, in Word or .pdf format, outlining your proposed research topic and programme of research. Please see Writing Your Research Proposal for further details.
- Locating your Research in Leeds University Business School Form: download the Locating Your Research Form from the Business School website
- Two academic references: you must submit two academic letters of reference from two people who have taught you at Masters (or Bachelors) level who are able to comment on your academic ability and suitability to study on the programme. References must either:
1) Be written on headed paper; or
2) Bear the institution’s stamp/logo; or
- 3) Be typed and stamped with the institution’s stamp on the University of Leeds Referee’s Report.
Important note about references: Due to the number of applications we receive, the Business School will not contact your referees on your behalf. You or your referees must provide the completed references by the given deadline.
- Certified copies of qualification certificates: scanned copies of all your higher education and professional qualifications;
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and full grading systems: scanned copies of the official university listing of the full set of marks contributing to the overall grade of your qualifications. If you have not yet been awarded your qualification, you must provide confirmation of your provisional marks to date.
Application Deadline: The application deadline is June 1, 2017.